The student news site of Odessa High School

The Broncho

Austin City Limits

Casi Piedra, Writer

Austin City Limits, also referred to as ACL, is an annual music festival that’s held in Zilker Park in Austin, Texas. It not only has eight stages where the artists of many different genres perform, but it also has food, drinks, places to shop for merchandise and even an area for kids. This amazing festival is held two consecutive three-day weekends in a row. I had the luck to go two years in a row and from my experience it was the best time I’ve ever had.

Last year I went weekend two, and I went all three days which dates landed on October 9 through to October 11. When you first walk in its crowds of people all dressed in various ways, it’s such a cool experience to see the different kinds of people that all come together for one thing, the music. Everyone there has such love for the music nothing else matters, it’s a no judgement zone, we all get along no matter what.

At first it’s very overwhelming, there’s so much to do and so many artists to see that you don’t seem to find a starting place. The first thing my family did was just walk to the nearest stage to watch an artist we knew, Cherub. The moment we got to the stage it was a feeling of a sort of relief, like all your problems went away. While in the crowd waiting for the artist to come out, it’s packed and hot but as soon as they come out and start singing it’s like everything goes away, you forget about the heat and your only focus is the music.

Another incredible aspect of this festival is the food, there is many different types of food to choose from while at ACL. There’s things such as pizza, tacos, burritos, barbecue, ice cream and even snow cones. Most all of their drinks either come in cans or plastic cups which they have recycling bins all around the park. If they don’t make it in the those, you can grab a trash bag and help pick the trash from all around the park and if you fill it up all the way you’ll get a free shirt. This not only gets you a free shirt but it helps the park stay clean.

The tickets for Austin City Limits are not very pricey considering the fact that you’re getting a full experience no matter when you go, even if it’s just for a day. For either weekend, a three-day pass to the festival would cost $240, though the ticket prices many increase at any given time. The one day passes however are a bit cheaper going for $100, of course varying with time. They also have VIP tickets which typically cost around $1,100. VIP of course gives these people special perks such as, air conditioned restrooms, catered lunch and dinner, mini spa treatments, tented viewing lounge and even shade seating for performances. They even have platinum tickets which cost around $3,600, they come with the same perks as VIP tickets just a little extra; They receive massages, air-conditioned lounges, lunch and dinner curated by celebrity chefs, merchandise gift bags, golf cart transportation, complimentary lockers with phone charging, and even access to a hospitality lounge at the South Congress Hotel (with complimentary rides to the festival and back whenever needed). This also will include access to any areas available to General Admission and VIP.

All around the park they have port-a-potties, yet this year they also had The Golden Porta Potty. They would place wristbands that would give you access to this porta potty all around the park hidden in different places. They would give hints as to where the special wristbands were on their snapchat. This bathroom was special because not only did it have a/c but it also has a television, a mirror and a sink.

ACL is a great place to go to if you’re looking for an amazing time. There’s many different festivals other than ACL, including Lollapalooza, Glastonbury, Mala Luna, Bonnaroo and the most well-known Coachella. Festivals are not only a great way to interact with new people and make new friends but also it’s a good time for hanging out with family. I would definitely recommend going to any type of music festival and experiencing one for yourself, you won’t regret it.