The student news site of Odessa High School

The Broncho

OHS Christmas Movie List

1.

The Sound of Music

In 1930’s Austria, a young woman named Maria is failing in her attempts to become a nun. When the Navy captain Georg Von Trapp writes to the convent asking for a governess that can handle his seven children, Maria is given the job. The Captain’s wife is dead, and he is often away, and runs the household as strictly. The children are unhappy and resentful of the governesses that their father keeps hiring, and have managed to run each of them off one by one. When Maria arrives, she is initially met with the same hostility, but her kindness, understanding, and sense of fun soon draws them to her and brings some much-needed joy into all their lives — including the Captain’s. Eventually he and Maria find themselves falling in love, even though Georg is already engaged to a Baroness and Maria is still a nun-in-training. The romance makes them both start questioning the decisions they have made. Their personal conflicts soon become overshadowed, however, by world events. Austria is about to come under the control of Germany, and the Captain may soon find himself drafted into the German navy and forced to fight against his own country.

I can’t properly explain this movie strange as it sounds this musical flick is beyond definition. Each person will take something different away from this story, some the somber tale of the second world war some the interesting and well written romances some like my self will see the tale as the story of a family coming together. This movie isn’t one to watch alone so gather some family and enjoy The Broncho’s number one Christmas movie

2.  

How The Grinch Stole Christmas–

This Christmas movie which was first released in 2000, in set in a town named Whoville where the Whos live. Everyone in Whoville loves Christmas, it’s a pretty big deal to them. However, outside of this town lives the Grinch, he hates Christmas and plans to ruin the holiday for all of the Whos. The main character, Cindy, has different plans to try and help the Grinch love the holiday and befriend him. This movie not only gets people into a festive mood but also is very humorous as well. It shows a valuable lesson on the importance of loving your family and friends and also to have Christmas spirit. This makes it a great movie to watch on Christmas with the people you love.

3. 

The Polar Express (2004)

This movie surrounds a boy who takes a ride on a magical train that’s headed to the north pole. Based on the children’s book by Chris Van Allsburg. While on this ride the boy who once was doubtful sets on an adventure to find himself and believe in the spirit of what Christmas is. On this adventure he learns about morals like bravery and friendship.

4. 

A Christmas Story

It’s 1940, in the northern Indiana town of Hohman. 9-year-old Ralph “Ralphie” Parker wants only one thing for Christmas — an official Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot range model BB rifle with a compass in the stock. Between his younger brother Randy and having to handle school bully Scut Farkus, Ralphie doesn’t know how he’ll ever survive long enough to get the BB gun for Christmas.

A good story all together and of course it holds a special place in Christmas movie history being set in Christmas but using it to tell a kind of coming of age story. There isn’t much to say beyond that just that the comedy is spot on. So go forth and enjoy.

5. 

A Christmas Carol (2009)

This animated motion picture based on the classic novel by Charles Dickens, tells the story of a cranky, stingy, bitter man, who hates Christmas. Miser Ebeneezer is awakened on Christmas eve by the ghost of his dead business partner Jacob Marley. Jacob warns him that he will be visited by three spirits. When scrooge is faced with the three spirits he is shown his past, present, and future. After learning of what is to come scrooge must make the choice to change his bitter ways and take the path of self-redemption or loose himself to a life of unhappiness.

6. 

It’s a Wonderful Life

George Bailey has spent his entire life giving of himself to the people of Bedford Falls. He has always longed to travel but never had the opportunity in order to prevent rich miser Mr. Potter from taking over the entire town. All that prevents him from doing so is George’s modest building and loan company, which was founded by his generous father. But on Christmas Eve, George’s Uncle Billy loses the business’s $8,000 while intending to deposit it in the bank. Potter finds the misplaced money and hides it. When the bank examiner discovers the shortage, George realizes that he will be held responsible and sent to jail and the company will collapse, finally allowing Potter to take over the town. Thinking of his wife, their young children, and others he loves will be better off with him dead, he contemplates suicide. But the prayers of his loved ones result in a gentle angel named Clarence coming to earth to help George, with the promise of earning his wings.

This movie is old school. Black and White old school, and I love every second of it. Handling a look on depression, loss, and your place in the world fantastically. It truly isn’t a movie I can talk much about just go and watch it you’ll feel good after.

7.  

Elf-

This very funny Christmas movie which was released in 2003 is about a guy named Buddy. He was first a baby who ended up in the North Pole, later to become an elf. When he is an adult, he goes to New York to find his birth-father. His father, Walter Hobbs, has no idea he has a kid other than he one he has now with his wife. Buddy tries to reconnect with his father who really wants nothing to do with his and thinks he’s crazy for thinking he’s an actual elf. This movie is very funny and the ending makes you get into the Christmas spirit. It’s a very uplifting movie that portrays a bunch of serious messages in a funny way. It was a really good feeling to it over all and is a very good movie to watch on Christmas day.

8.  

Home Alone 2

This movie was released in 1992, it’s a continuation from the first movie Home Alone. The main character, Kevin McCallister, when he accidentally gets separated from his family in the airport and ends up in New York City, he takes advantage and has some fun by himself around the City. However, the same as the previous movie, he runs into the two criminals Harry and Marv. Kevin and the two are both more prepared than before, Kevin has more booby traps for their encounter. This movie is both touching and funny, it shows the importance of family and being kind. Though Kevin’s family seems to forget about him sometimes, in the end they always learn how much they love and need him. It’s a perfect Christmas movie to enjoy while being with family and friends.

9.  

The Nightmare Before Christmas. (1993)

Jack Skellington is known as the pumpkin king of Halloween town.  While adventuring he falls into what is called Christmas town her he learns about what Christmas is, yet he does not understand the idea of what Christmas is. Jack is so amazed, by what he witnessed he recruits ghost, ghouls and goblins of Halloween town to help him take over Christmas. The plan seemed solid but in the end it did not work out the way Jack Skellington and Halloween town wished.

10. 

Die Hard

NYPD cop John McClane goes on a Christmas vacation to visit his wife Holly in Los Angeles where she works for the Nakatomi Corporation. While they are at the Nakatomi headquarters for a Christmas party, a group of bank robbers led by Hans Gruber take control of the building and hold everyone hostage, with the exception of John, while they plan to perform a lucrative heist. Unable to escape and with no immediate police response, John is forced to take matters into his own hands.

This movie is a true Christmas classic one that is played and replayed all year long but especially at Christmas. This movie sits at the bottom of the list mainly because of its strenuous ties to Christmas mostly used as a setting not a part of the story.