The student news site of Odessa High School

The Broncho

Graduation Blues

Darrian Morris

The school year is coming to a close, and Odessa High School Graduation is just around the corner. Students are working tirelessly on finals and fighting to finish the year, and many are fighting even harder against stress to keep from dropping out or letting their grades fall victim to laziness. Graduation is especially stressful because of what it entails many people have family and friends coming specifically to see them walk the stage and with prices for caps and gowns rising alongside a growing feeling of ‘Why do I care’ or senioritis students just handle a whole lot more stress then graduates of previous years. Here is what some of the students had to say over graduation.

“It’s a stressful situation. I for one am nervous about grades and finals and plenty of other things because of graduation.” said Senior Matthew Ornelas

This is a sentiment echoed by senior Alexandria “Alex” Renteria who said “I’m feeling stressed, but I’m also happy and proud of myself for lasting through the year.”

But students aren’t the only ones hurt by graduation blues. Teachers like math teacher Rukayat Olude are hit hard as well.

“I’m blank, stressed out, and happy for the graduating students.” Said Mrs. Olude

Teachers are affected by grading and year planning alongside the problem students and the ever present senioritis all contribute to stress and annoyance in the work place. But this doesn’t stop good teachers from being happy for the students who’re graduating and leaving the school behind.

“I’m going to miss them a lot especially those students who achieved their goals towards the end of the year like Alex Renteria.” said Mrs. Olude

Stress is a factor for all of these people but stuff like this just goes to show that even when stress reaches critical mass and the human condition seems like a mess, Odessa High School Students can and will survive and move forward always looking towards the future and always doing the best they are capable of.